Friday 21 December 2007

I hear sleigh bells...

Christmas is coming... I'll be heading to my granny's place in Klang for this celebration. Everywhere,I see signs shouting "Christmas is COMING!!!". Shopping malls started setting up Christmas trees in mid-November. Sales are in every mall. People are cracking their heads over what to get for Christmas presents (including me). Families are planning what (and where) to have Christmas dinner.

I used to get very VERY excited over Christmas when I was younger; Christmas meant that I could ask for that book which my mum refused to buy even though I begged. My aunts and uncles would ask me what I wanted as a special present, my cousins and I would dig out the old Christmas tree and try to string all the ornaments on it (until it starts toppling),the same Christmas songs would be played over and over again. It was fun.But now,the 18-year old me just can't feel the same excitement over Christmas. I don't feel that sparkling,fizzy anticipation anymore. More like a little twinge,and "Oh,Christmas is here already..." What's wrong with me?? I really WANT to get excited again..

Still,getting older also meant I learn Christmas isn't about presents,putting the star on top of the tree and cookies. If it used to be special to me because of those things;NOW,its special to me because it is the day to remember our Saviour,Jesus came to Earth.
His humble beginnings in a manger. How the angels rejoiced and wise men brought presents to see him. I'm not going to elaborate long and wide about this. But this picture is a reminder to what Christmas is REALLY about.

So to all of you...

1 squeaked:

Reggie said...

I know what you mean about Christmas not being exciting anymore...

... sometimes I wish I was 8 again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails