Saturday 10 October 2009

I HEART Klang Bak Kut Teh!!!

I had this for breakfast this morning:-

(Sorry I had to borrow images from other sites because I was too busy eating and talking to snap pictures of my own. Camera usage...FAIL!)

Sourced from Wikipedia
Bak kut teh (Hokkien: 肉骨茶) is a Chinese soup popularly served in Singapore, China, Taiwan (where there is a predominant Hoklo and Teochew community) and also, cities of neighbouring countries like Batam of Indonesia and Hat Yai of Thailand. The name literally translates as "meat bone tea", and, at its simplest, consists of meaty pork ribs simmered in a complex broth of herbs and spices (including star anise, cinnamon, cloves, dang gui, fennel seeds and garlic) for hours.

TELUK PULAI BAK KUT TEH

I grew up eating the bak kut teh from this particular stall which is located near the Teluk Pulai KTM station, across the bridge. It is also very near my late grandma's house.
I haven't eaten this bak kut teh for like a seriously long time. Missed it so much. Sze Haw was also hankering for it because even though, strictly speaking, she's only been there once (the other times she ate was when my dad ta bao from Klang back to Ipoh for her) she says its the best she ever tasted.

She got her wish today. My uncle was eager to go along with our suggestion of bak kut teh for breakfast. The challenge was getting there. Honestly, I'm not good with directions or remembering the roads to places. My only saving grace is I will remember when I've been there several times. My uncle kept asking me for the name of the place so that he can key it into his GPS but I wasn't sure of the name. We've always called it Teluk Pulai bak kut teh but I didn't know that was the actual shop name. (I know...smack me.Image Hosted by ImageShack.us) So the safest bet was go to Klang town.

The GPS took us from Damansara to Klang's Little India. And from there I tried my best to direct them the right way. But the GPS kept beeping "Derived from original route" and there were a few detours because we didn't turn when we should. Went one big round across the bridge like twice...but in the end, we arrived safely at the little shop.Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My uncle was eager to try all the nak kut teh variations they had so when our food arrived, we had the soup bak kut teh, the dry (gon lou) bak kut teh, a huge side of pork leg (dai guat), pork ribs (pai guat) and yew char kway. I had never even tried the dry version before because I love the soup version, always calling for "refill,refill" for the soup. We ate it with the yew fan (oiled rice???). My cousin Steven liked the yew char kway so much he ordered a second plate and even considered a third plate because the first two disappeared so fast.

It was very satisfying...though the quality seems to have dropped a little compared to the early days when I ate it. Yoong told me that the corner shop to the left (I think the name is Klang Lek Bak Kut Teh) has improved and is better than Teluk Pulai BKT. But all these aside. I had a totally satisfying breakfast!!!!Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

*burp*
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 squeaked:

Anonymous said...

Hello all,

We would like to invite you to promote your blog on our blogosphere. Totally free for everyone!

Click on the 'Tutorial' button if you're not sure how to use it.

Join now: Malaysian Bloggers

Happy Blogging!

Related Posts with Thumbnails