Wednesday 30 September 2009

The earth moves...

Everybody's talking about the earthquake that rocked Sumatra and caused tremors around the Klang Valley.This is the latest news sourced from The Star. Click here to read.

If you're expecting me to tell a thrilling tale where I experienced the floor move beneath me, you're in the wrong place. Sorry..I missed the earthquake. That sounds rather offhand, forgive me, but I think I can live without that experience.

I was swimming while it happened.
Yup, I was in the water, doing some laps and some silly games with Yean Shan (doing stunts in the water and swimming the entire length of the pool underwater and things like that) and I didn't feel a thing. It was only when I got back to my room to find my FaceBook homepage flooded with "OMGtherewasanearthquakethefloormovedwhathappened??" status updates. Even some people complaining why they DIDN't feel anything. I'm rather glad I didn't have to feel the tremors. I might have thought the building was falling apart and panicked.

I'm not an expert on earthquakes but I do know that an earthquake was BAD when it hits a 7.9 on the Richter scale because the worst ever was a 8.1 or something like that. This is sure to be on the front page of newspapers tomorrow. Another natural disaster that will put us more in awe of Mother Nature than ever taking into mind the precedents of the 2004 tsunami and the 2005 Hurricane Katrina (why do they give disasters female names????); to name the two which I found really terrible. It will not be pleasant to read of the damage and grief it brought. I can't imagine what it feels like to lose a home or a family, somebody or something that you love and worked hard for, in a matter of minutes.

I pray that no worst will happen because there was another earthquake before this bad one. The previous earthquake claimed 128 lives. I dread to think the death toll for this one. Pray for the victims. Pray for the people who will be going there to rescue and help. Pray against any more disasters. I'll be keeping an eye out for any donation funds for this in church and I hope many others will be doing the same. Or maybe go the extra mile and pitch in to help. It is not enough to shake our heads at the news and pat ourselves on the back that we don't stay in Sumatra. DO SOMETHING!!!

0 squeaked:

Related Posts with Thumbnails